Thursday, December 16, 2004

Textures by Maison


Unfortunately, I can't find the li'l piece of paper where I scratched my notes on, but I came across an impressive line of candles the other day at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's called Textures and it's by Maison (the people that make the great Blood Orange and Tobacco & Bergamot candles). I believe there were 4 or 5 scents, but 2 really caught my nose: Smoke, a blend of pine, birch and oakwood which actually smells smoky, like wood burning (although I wouldn't exactly call it firewood per se), and one that melded vanilla, cocoa and espresso in such a way that it smelled like a frappucino or coffee smoothie. There was also one in the line with a prominent fig note that was pleasant. I really wish I could remember the other scents, cux as a whole the line was quite nice. I hope they introduce more fragrances for it in the future.

I must add here--I think firewood is really up-and-coming. Could it be the next Cucumber Melon? It's showing up everywhere--it used to be that you could only find it in expensive, high-end brands, but it seems to be filtering down quickly. Soon we'll see firewood scents everywhere. And that's a good thing. Hopefully a cheap but true-to-life firewood scent will come out, maybe by Glade (although most of what they do is such crap, I doubt it). Coffee scents seem to be breaking out too. I noticed it with those Votivo Murano candles, with the Venetian Coffee scent, and now in this Textures line. I wonder if they'll catch on. It seems unlikely to me, but I guess time will tell.

And that's the fragrance beep for now!

5 comments:

Amelia said...

I believe the Maison Textures candle with a "prominent fig note" is called "Stone." It's quite good.

Unknown said...

Hi Ed,
I just found out that BB&B no longer carries the Blood Orange Maison Candle. I am trying to find the manufacturer to ask if they make it still, and how I can purchase them. BB&B was no help. I am wondering if you know who makes this candle, and if they have a phone number, email, web...etc
Thanks,
Andrew
andrew-meade@cox.net

Unknown said...

ed,

i am looking for the mfg on the maison blood orange candle that bb&b use to carry. I am looking for a phone number, email, web...etc.
Thanks,
Andrew

Daryl said...

Ed,

You really got my interest. I have been looking for a good heavy smoky firewood smelling candle for several years, but as of yet have never found one.

I realize it is quite old, but I just stumbled across this thread tonight and wondered if you will know I posted on here. I wondered if you might be able to give me a quick top 3 or 4 of the best ones you have found, and where you can get them.

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing your response.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed,

These elusive Maison candles - I have one that I've finished being able to burn called Midnight, scent water lily & lotus. It was amazing and I really want to replace it. Any possibilities that you know of?

Is there a way to contact the candle manufacturer? The number on the bottom is Archipelago now, used to be Archaeology. When I called them, they said they just make the labels for these candles and directed me to Bed, Bath and Beyond. BBB's website doesn't show this scent.

Thanks,
Colleen